Standard 3

Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.

I try to make my practice as inclusive as possible, and not just academically. My goal is to create safe learning environments that meet the academic, developmental, and social needs of all learners.

When designing a unit I take the specific group of learners I am an teaching into great consideration. I plan to reach the highest achieving learners, learners who won’t necessarily have success in a “traditional” setting, and everyone who falls between the two polarized ends. My methods of content delivery range from oral delivery, reading/comprehension, group discussions, videos, and text to speech applications. Summative task to demonstrate learning are left as open as possible for students to best demonstrate their learning in which every way they will have the most success. The modes of summative assessment implemented always reflect the inclusive nature of the task.

Each and everyday there are community building exercises and activities to promote inclusivity, and to create a safe learning environment that can meet the social, emotional needs of all learners.

In my professional life prior to perusing a career in education, I’ve completed and implemented a number of professional development on childhood development, as well as working with children with neurological disorders. Two major strengths I’ve come away with from other job opportunities that relate to Standard 3 are knowledge surrounding positive child guidance, and looking at behaviour objectively to teach desired behaviours to children.

Exemplars from EDUC 491 Practicum:

6 Feb

• Adapting the same lesson/content for the different groups students in both presentation of the material, as well as how feedback is given.

13 Feb

• Have been doing some supplementary reading for how to do novel studies with students – will be implementing into the work we are doing

18 Feb

• Making adaptations to the comprehension questions for students to ensure they can meet the learning objectives without drowning with the amount of work