Sandra McAulay and Coding in the Elementary Classroom

In Sandra’s engaging presentation on coding in elementary classrooms, I was exposed to a number of ideas. I learned ways to tie coding to the Core Competencies, and how to make coding cross-curricular. I saw connections between this presentation and Carrie’s presentation on computational thinking. Sandra also did a great job of modeling good teaching, and effective classroom management strategies.

One of my biggest take-aways was gaining a perspective as to the entry point for coding for elementary students. I think it is very important to know where one’s students are coming from with their prior knowledge and skills.

There are so many extensions and stretches that could be made with this block-coding application, both in elementary and secondary.

Like I mentioned in my reflection on Carrie’s presentation, coding is obsolete; however, understanding the rules and logic of coding is not. Sandra modeled activities, much like Carrie, that promoted computational thinking for students.

I am curious about the cross curricular connections that could be made with computational thinking. I think it ties into Math, Science, and Careers quite well. Could coding apply to Fine Art? English?