Coaching/Extra-Curriculars

Taking the youngest skaters from the YMCA Just for Fun Hockey to play in front of fans during the intermission of a Prince George Spruce Kings game

Coaching is initially what got me involved working with youth, and its what set me on my path to become an educator.

In the fall of 2013 I began coaching for the Prince George Minor Hockey Association. This was my first experience working with youth, and while admittedly I only began coaching because of my love for sport, I discovered that I actually enjoyed working with youth, helping them develop and find success, more than the sport itself.

In the fall of 2014 I began to work for the YMCA of Northern British Columbia as a skating instructor, for ages 3-12, and also helped facilitate the Just for Fun Hockey programs, which provide an opportunity for all children to enjoy the world’s greatest game at an affordable cost. While continuing my undergraduate studies at the University of Northern British Columbia, I worked in this new role for the YMCA, and also continued coaching for Prince George Minor Hockey Association.

I was named the Volunteer of the year by the Prince George Minor Hockey Association for the 2014/15 Season, an accomplishment I am very proud of.

When I began the B.Ed program at UNBC, in the fall of 2018, I stepped away from coaching. Doing so definitely allowed me to focus all of my time and energy on my studies, however, it has been tough to stop doing something that was such a large part of my life.

In my final teaching practicum, I was fortunate enough to teach a period of Physical & Health Education 8. While this is not the same as coaching, being involved with the P.E. department, and observing the coordination/facilitation of extra-curricular activities and athletics programs has got me very excited for the prospects of the future, and opportunities such as these that I may be able to step into. Being involved in school athletics programs, and extra-curricular activities is something I will definitely jump at when I am fortunate enough to earn a contract in a B.C. school.